We all love eggs for breakfast or brunch, and what better way to elevate your egg game than to poach it in a flavorful spicy tomato sauce! This recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and can be done in less than 30 minutes. You should try it!
Shakshuka | Eggs in Purgatory
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 – 2 slices Bacon (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Onions
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Minced Jalapeno Peppers
- Black Pepper
- 1/2 a handful of chopped Parsley
- Start by sautéing your mushrooms in a tablespoon of cooking oil for about 1 minute or until mushrooms start getting soft
- Add the chopped raw bacon and cook together with the mushrooms for another minute to render the delicious bacon fat
- Add the minced garlic, onions and jalapeños to the skillet. Sauté for another minute or till the onions get translucent
- Add the diced tomatoes to the pan and stir to combine all the ingredients
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and your other favorite seasonings
- Turn down the heat to medium and let the sauce simmer for about 5 minutes. You can keep the skillet covered to keep the sauce from drying out
- Use your spoon to create 2 wells in the sauce. Crack and add your eggs to the wells. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. .
- Cover the skillet and cook on low heat for about 5 – 7 minutes or till your eggs achieve your desired doneness.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped Parsley.
- Remove skillet from the heat and serve immediately with some golden toast.