One-pan dinners are all the rave right now because of how easy the are to prepare, and since everything is cooked in one pan, you have less cookware to wash. Did you hear that? Fewer pots and pans to wash! Oh yes, count me in! So today, I’m bringing you this extra delicious chicken and rice casserole. This recipe is basically rice and chicken cooked together with mushrooms, spicy jalapenos, and some creamy coconut cream. Talk about deliciousness!!! Oh well, let’s get right to it!
Chicken & Rice Casserole
- Baking Dish
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Sliced Mushrooms (Portobello or any other mushroom type)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onions
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Large Jalapenos (Add more or less to suit your desired heat level)
- 1/4 cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 Stock / Bouillon Cube
- Wash and season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika. Let marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Oil the baking dish with some olive oil to keep things from sticking.
- Add the Basmati Rice to the dish. I like to cook my Basmati rice without washing but feel free to wash yours if you wish.
- Add the Mushrooms, Onions, Garlic, Jalapenos, Red Bell Peppers, Seasonings, Coconut milk, and Chicken Stock. Stir to combine.
- Cut up the butter and add to the top of the rice mix.
- Add the marinated chicken thighs to the dish.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil to trap in all the moisture.
- Place the baking dish in the middle rack of the oven and cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes
- After the cooking time is complete, remove the baking dish from the oven and let rest uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff out the rice, and serve hot!